Studying Spanish in Madrid during COVID


For many language learners out there, living and studying in a city that speaks the language is an invaluable experience. The opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture and be constantly surrounded by the language hugely exacerbates the learning process. When I decided that I wanted to learn Spanish, and to do so in a short space of time, I was certain that finding an opportunity to move to Madrid for a few months would be the best idea.

In the current moment, with all the complications that COVID brings to international travel, I was uncertain if I would even be able to get out of London. I had already spent months in lockdown trying to familiarise myself with the basics of Spanish grammar, learning through textbooks and websites. At this point, I started researching language schools and opportunities to take Spanish classes in Madrid, and I found Eureka. Offering immersive language classes, along with accomodation nearby and internship placements, this seemed like the answer to all my problems. Studying abroad would be an incredible opportunity to improve my Spanish, as well as a means of travelling to Madrid despite the complications of COVID.

Having since arrived in Spain, the experience has exceded my expectations. Madrid, although still encumbered by some COVID restrictions, feels open and somewhat like normal life. The streets are still filled with Madrileños abiding by the typical Spanish hours, something which I have had to get used to: the late mornings, mid-afternoon quiet, and the bustling and lively nights. Throughout the day Madrileños go about their business wearing masks, both inside and out, and have to keep to groups of 6 outside and 4 inside. There is also a city-wide curfew between the hours of 11pm and 6am, ensuring bars and restaurants close up for the night between 10.45 and 11pm, and Madrileños are not allowed to mix inside other households. The restrictions do not dampen the spirit of the Madrid lifestyle; from mid-afternoon cervezas, long trips to the Prado and Sundays at El Rastro and El Parque del Retiro, my experience getting to know Madrid has felt just as vibrant as it would pre-COVID. With the majority of shops and attractions open, visitors to Madrid will not be deprived of a rich experience despite the virus.

So, how will COVID restrictions change in the next few months? There will be an update on the Madrid restrictions on the 9th of May, at which point the ´State of Alarm´ will be officially lifted, and with this comes hopes of being able to travel throughout wider Spain. As a first-time visitor, I am keen to explore the other famous cities of Spain, such as Barcelona, Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada. We shall have to wait and see what the 9th of May brings!

By Lulu Rehman, April 2021

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Artículos determinados - las excepciones

Voces inocentes

Matar dos pájaros de un tiro